This year is different but – The Shuck Must Go On! Tune into YouTube Live on Saturday October 17 at 5 pm for the 20th anniversary edition of the Wellfleet OysterFest. This All Star Shuck Off will feature 10 legendary shuckers from the last 19 years. Watch them compete for the 2020 Championship as never seen before.
- Barbara Austin – the only woman to ever win the Wellfleet OysterFest Shuck Off and she did it three times, in 2006, 2007 and 2013.
- Steve Boreen – Took the title two years in a row in 2016 and 2017.
- Calen Bricault – Took a break between wins in 2015 and 2019. His speed improved by nearly a minute.
- James Gray – Crushed it in 2008 with a screeching speed of 1:47 and came back to win again in 2012.
- Camden Holland – Stole the crown from James in 2009.
- Kyle Morse – Nearly stole it from Barbara in 2006 and clinched it in 2010.
- Asa Nadeau – Came in a close second in 2004 and slid into third in 2007.
- Keith Rose – Winner of the first ever Wellfleet Shuck Off in 2001.
- Paul Suggs – Grabbed the title in 2004 with the amazing speed of 1:55.
- Chopper Young – all time winningest with five wins in 2002, 2005, 2009, 2014, 2018.
This contest boasts fierce competition, as these shuckers hunker down and shuck like they’ve never shucked before. Contestants are given 24 oysters to open as quickly as possible in search of perfect looking oysters on the half shell.
Judges review finish times and final product. Controversial rulings have been known to fire up the crowd, as devastating time penalties are added for broken shells, massacred oysters, and blood shed from slashed fingers.
The winning Shucker earns a $1,000 cash prize.
2019 OYSTER SHUCK-OFF
Interviews with past winners and current title-holders can be arranged upon request. If you are a member of the media interested in sending a camera to capture this electrifying contest, contact SPAT Executive Director Michele Insley, at firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 508.349.3499.