The 2021 Wellfleet OysterFest and Annual Shuck Off have been postponed as an unavoidable consequence of the ongoing public health and safety concerns caused by the COVID-19 pandemic.
Last year was different but – The Shuck DID Go On! Thousands watched the live streamed event to celebrate the 20th anniversary of the Wellfleet OysterFest® and thousands more have watched it since.
This All Star Shuck Off featured legendary shuckers from the last 19 years. Watch the competition here to see how it all played out. Below is list of the shuckers that participated in the event.
- Barbara Austin – the only woman to ever win the Wellfleet OysterFest Shuck Off and she did it three times, in 2006, 2007 and 2013.
- Calen Bricault – Took a break between wins in 2015 and 2019. His speed improved by nearly a minute.
- James Gray – Crushed it in 2008 with a screeching speed of 1:47 and came back to win again in 2012.
- Kyle Morse – Nearly stole it from Barbara in 2006 and clinched it in 2010.
- Asa Nadeau – Came in a close second in 2004 and slid into third in 2007.
- Keith Rose – Winner of the first ever Wellfleet Shuck Off in 2001.
- Paul Suggs – Grabbed the title in 2004 with the amazing speed of 1:55.
- Chopper Young – all time winningest with five wins in 2002, 2005, 2009, 2014, 2018.
The contest was sometimes fierce, sometimes surprising, and always great fun. Each contestant had 24 oysters to open as quickly as possible in search of perfect looking oysters on the half shell.
There was only a little controversy, but there were devastating penalties as times jumped for broken shells, massacred oysters, and even blood shed from slashed fingers.
The winning Shucker earned a $1,000 cash prize, second place received $500 and third place $250. It was a great day for shucking and we are grateful for all your support.
2019 OYSTER SHUCK-OFF
Interviews with past winners and current title-holders can be arranged upon request. If you are a member of the media interested in sending a camera to capture this electrifying contest, contact SPAT Executive Director Michele Insley, at firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 508.349.3499.