Don’t forget, The Annual Shuck Off is ON this year! Last year was different but – The Shuck DID Go On! Thousands watched the live streamed events the past two years, but this year, we come together for a fierce, sometimes surprising, fun competition.
Interested in participating in the 2022 Annual Shuck Off? Print out the application here: Shuck-Off App 2022. Instructions for submission are included in the application.
The All Star Shuck Off features legendary shuckers from the last 19 years. Watch the 2021 competition here to see how it all played out. Below is a list of the shuckers that participated in the event in 2021.
- Barbara Austin – the only woman to ever win the Wellfleet OysterFest Shuck Off and she did it three times, in 2006, 2007 and 2013.
- Calen Bricault – Took a break between wins in 2015 and 2019. His speed improved by nearly a minute.
- James Gray – Crushed it in 2008 with a screeching speed of 1:47 and came back to win again in 2012.
- Kyle Morse – Nearly stole it from Barbara in 2006 and clinched it in 2010.
- Asa Nadeau – Came in a close second in 2004 and slid into third in 2007.
- Keith Rose – Winner of the first ever Wellfleet Shuck Off in 2001.
- Paul Suggs – Grabbed the title in 2004 with the amazing speed of 1:55.
- Chopper Young – all time winningest with five wins in 2002, 2005, 2009, 2014, 2018.
Each contestant had 24 oysters to open as quickly as possible in search of perfect looking oysters on the half shell. There was only a little controversy, but there were devastating penalties as times jumped for broken shells, massacred oysters, and even blood shed from slashed fingers.
The winning Shucker earned a $1,000 cash prize, second place received $500 and third place $250. It was a great day for shucking and we are grateful for all your support.
Take a look at the Final Round of the last in-person OYSTER SHUCK-OFF from 2019!
Interviews with past winners and current title-holders can be arranged upon request. If you are a member of the media interested in sending a camera to capture this electrifying contest, contact SPAT using the contact form on our website.