20th Annual Wellfleet OysterFest
October 17 & 18, 2020
10 am – 5 pm, rain or shine
Wellfleet SPAT, Shellfish Promotion and Tasting, Inc., is pleased to invite you to participate in the 20th annual Wellfleet OysterFest. SPAT is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization devoted to fostering Wellfleet’s shellfishing and aquaculture industries.
Booth fee: $375. Please note: Raw Bar booth fees have not increased in at least ten years. Because of the current situation with COVID-19, they will not be increased this year but please be prepared for an increase in 2021.
Confirmations are due by May 29, 2020. We are hopeful that the ‘Fest will happen this year, but will hold off collecting booth fees until we are 100% certain. This decision will be made at least 30 days ahead of time, and possibly sooner.
What’s new this year? Read below carefully, please!
Big Layout Changes
As you know, last year’s crowds were among the biggest we’ve ever seen. As a result, the Wellfleet Police and Fire Departments have been working with SPAT to make changes to the layout that we hope will improve the experience for everyone. Click here to see a draft map for 2020. This is likely to change, but hopefully will give you an idea of what to anticipate. It is very possible that your location will change.
Sneeze Guards and Server Required
You must provide a barrier between the customers and the food. If you don’t have one, we won’t be able to let you operate. For obvious food safety precautions, the public will no longer be able to select their own oysters. Each raw bar will be required to have a barrier, a server to plate the oysters and a separate cashier handling cash.
Per order of the Wellfleet Police Department alcohol consumption is not allowed in your booth at any time. This includes during set up and breakdown on Friday, Saturday and Sunday. No alcohol consumption is allowed anywhere in the festival areas after 5pm on Saturday or Sunday.
Still no plastic!
We are very grateful to everyone for the efforts made last year to make the ‘Fest as plastic free as possible. It made a huge difference. SPAT is even more committed to a plastic free ‘Fest and appreciates your continued cooperation. No plastic is allowed. If you have issues or concerns about this, please contact Gisele at email@example.com. This includes, but is not limited to:
- Plastic beverage bottles
- Plastic utensils (including oyster forks)
- Plastic straws and stirrers
- Plastic cups and lids, including portion cups
Please refrain from using all plastics, including plastic wrap and prepackaged oyster crackers and condiments. Instead, consider providing these products in bulk and offer paper soufflé cups for individual servings as needed. Products made of bamboo, wood, palm leaves, paperboard, sugarcane (BAGASSE), and unlined paper are available. This website has more information on the kind of products available. We will allow plastic or Polylactic Acid (PLA) lined paper soup and hot beverage cups but if you must provide lids, they must be paper. If you need help finding appropriate products please let us know.
We are hoping to have cans of water for purchase again. If you would like to sell water this year, please indicate so below.
Keeping Wellfleet Clean
We are very pleased to say that everyone did a great job cleaning up last year. Thank you! This is just a reminder to not leave behind piles of trash, oil spills, sand, shells or leftover product. Vendors who leave any residue behind will be charged a $200 cleaning fee after the ‘Fest, and will be required to pay a $200 cleaning deposit in order to participate in future ‘Fests. Please help us out by cleaning up after yourself, disposing of your waste properly and taking everything with you. Thanks in advance.
Temporary Food Establishment Permits
SPAT will confirm receipt of all TFE permit applications with the Wellfleet Health Department on August 15. If your application has not been submitted, you run the risk of not being able to participate in the ‘Fest. Please, take care of this right away to make this easier for all of us.
You are required to have sufficient supplies to operate your booth for the entire duration of the ‘Fest. Vendors who close early because they have run out of supplies will not be invited to participate in future ‘Fests.
All food vendors and raw bar operators will be required to carry liability insurance. Amounts required are $1 million per occurrence/$3 million aggregate, and both the Town of Wellfleet and Wellfleet SPAT must be named as additional insured.
If you already have insurance, you will be required to provide two separate and current certificates of insurance:
- one certificate naming Wellfleet SPAT, PO Box 2156, Wellfleet, MA 02667, as additional insured
- a second certificate naming the Town of Wellfleet, 300 Main Street, Wellfleet, MA 02667, as additional insured.
These will be required by September 1. If your existing insurance policy is valid through October 19, please upload your certificates of insurance now.
If you do not already have insurance you can purchase Vendor Liability Insurance for the OysterFest only, at a cost of $52.50 from Francis L. Dean & Associates. Click HERE for the application. Please do this right away.
Parking, Admission, etc.
Parking passes and admissions passes will be distributed when you arrive for event set up or can be picked up on site on Friday afternoon.
Terms & Conditions for Participation
Below you will find important information, some of it new. Please read everything carefully. Checking the box on this form indicates that you have read, understand and agree to all of these conditions.
Thanks for your cooperation!
Wellfleet OysterFest GENERAL Terms & Conditions
1. The ‘Fest will be held on October 17 &18, 2020 from 10 am – 5 pm, rain or shine.
2. Wellfleet SPAT, Shellfish Promotion and Tasting, Inc. reserves the right to cancel the ‘Fest in the event of an Act of God or other unavoidable circumstance. The right to cancel shall continue during the course of the ‘Fest itself.
3. Previous participation in the event does not guarantee acceptance and SPAT reserves the right to accept or reject any application.
4. SPAT reserves the right to dismiss any vendor or their agent, without refund, who has misrepresented their product or service.
5. Vendors must agree to adhere to the hours of the ‘Fest and operate their booth from 10 am until 5 pm on Saturday and Sunday.
6. Accepted Vendors will be assigned spaces as the organizers see fit. SPAT reserves the right to relocate spaces as necessary.
7. Vendors must be in their assigned spaces no later than 8 am each morning or will be considered to have forfeited their right to their designated booth space.
8. Vehicles are not to remain in the festival area or be used as part of display unless prearranged with SPAT.
9. Vehicles will not be permitted to drive in and out during festival hours of 8:30 am – 6 pm.
10. Smoking and drinking alcohol in your booth is not permitted. Wellfleet SPAT reserves the right to dismiss any exhibitor or their agents who are in violation of this health code.
11. SPAT strives to make the Wellfleet OysterFest a sustainable and ‘green’ event. Please use recyclable and biodegradable material wherever possible. Use of plastic is strictly forbidden.
13. Please do not dispose of your cardboard or other packaging on ‘Fest grounds.
14. Once a vendor has confirmed their participation, cancellations MUST be made in writing before September 15, 2020 or 100% of the booth fee will be forfeited. All refunds will be issued by check regardless of payment method. All applicable credit card fees and a $30 processing fee will be deducted from your refund.
15. Applicant agrees to indemnify and hold SPAT and its agents, employees, officers and members of the board of directors harmless from any loss or injury to person or property, including loss of life associated with or arising from the agreement hereunder. Applicant shall indemnify and hold SPAT organizers and all those associates listed above harmless and shall pay damages, costs and expenses and reasonable attorney’s fees that may be incurred or paid by SPAT in connection with any litigation arising from this application.
Wellfleet OysterFest Terms & Conditions for RAW BAR VENDORS
1. All Raw Bar applicants must hold a Town of Wellfleet Commercial Shellfish License or a State issued Propagation Permit for a Wellfleet-licensed grant.
2. All Raw Bar applicants must be in compliance with current local and state shellfish regulations regarding the safe handling of oysters.
3. Only one Raw Bar application per license will be considered.
4. SPAT will hire a shellfish processor to ensure the safety of the raw shellfish sold at OysterFest. Participating Raw Bars will be required to deliver enough product for the two days of the festival to the processor. Further details will be provided on a date closer to the ‘Fest.
5. All food vendors must apply for a Temporary Food Establishment Permit (TFE) from the Town of Wellfleet by August 15, 2019.
6. The Health Inspector will conduct an on-site inspection at 8:00 am each morning of the event to issue a food permit. If a Vendor does not obtain a TFE permit, SPAT must deny that food vendor their right to sell food products at the festival.
7. HACCP or ServSafe certified person must be at your site throughout the day.
8. All booth spaces are 10’x10’.
9. Vendors are responsible for providing all of their own equipment, including but not limited to tents, tables, chairs, etc.
10. Wellfleet SPAT will not provide water, electricity, other utilities or rain protection, nor will local businesses.
11. All tents must be sufficiently weighted as the festival is held on pavement and cannot be staked into. High winds are common and unsecured tents are a danger to everyone! Vendors will not be allowed to set up tents without weights.
12. All food vendors are required to participate in the Volunteer Food Voucher Program. This program provides our volunteers with three $5 coupons that can be used for food and/or beverages at the vendor of their choice. Vendors will be reimbursed $2.50 for each food coupon they submit. Your participation in this program is essential to the success of the ‘Fest. There would be no ‘Fest without our volunteers.
The deadline for confirming your participation in the 2020 OysterFest has passed. If you are receiving this message please be in touch with Gisele right away.