The 20th Annual Wellfleet OysterFest was held virtually on YouTube Live Saturday October 17, 2020 to celebrate the event’s 20th anniversary and promote Wellfleet’s exceptional oysters and the special place they come from.
The production was filmed at the Wellfleet Harbor Actors Theater (W.H.A.T.) and included a special video about Wellfleet’s shellfish legacy. The event was co-hosted by S.P.A.T. Board member Jodi Birchall and Orleans musician G. Love. The music and Wellfleet brand videos were filmed in Wellfleet by shellfisherman and director Justin Lynch. The event also included guest chefs and co-hosts Ming Tsai, Jamie Bissonnette and Elle Simone Scott, who shared their favorite oyster recipes.
The main event was the All Star Shuck Off. This year, the winningest shuckers from the contest’s 19-year history met on the stage to try and seize the glory and the trophy! Here are some of the surprising highlights:
- Asa Nadeau, who as far as we can tell, last competed in the Shuck Off in 2007, went head-to-head with Chopper Young, one of the most decorated shuckers in the world. And he held his own! Both finished shucking their 24 oysters in approximately 2:03 minutes – quite a fascinating finale!
- Six competitors earned bonus points (which means they got seconds deducted from their adjusted times after penalties) for oysters that looked good enough to eat right then and there! These shuckers know what it means to display gorgeous Wellfleet oysters.
- The biggest surprise of the evening was Wellfleetian Kyle Morse, who hasn’t competed in the Shuck Off since winning in 2010. He won in his preliminary heat with an adjusted time after penalties of 3:14 and went on to claim this year’s third-place prize with a time of 4:05.
- And carrying on his tradition of winning every Wellfleet OysterFest Shuck Off he’s ever entered…Chopper Young brought home his sixth win with a final time of 3:15. Chopper never disappoints; his passion for the game is infectious!
- Chopper was followed closely by Calen Bricault with a final time of 3:34. Calen has now won or placed eight times in the contest’s history; he has won or placed more than anyone else!
No one knows what the future holds or what the format will be for the ‘Fest next year, but one thing is for sure, S.P.A.T. will not let Wellfleet OysterFest® weekend go uncelebrated. So save the date next year’s Wellfleet OysterFest® Shuck Off, October 16 & 17, 2021!
If you missed it or want to see all the action again, click link the below.
Featuring celebrity guests chefs
With Musical guest G.Love
Proceeds help SPAT fulfill its mission of supporting Wellfleet’s shellfishing families.